Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Geitner

This one is a slam dunk for me. The man is in charge of the IRS.
He was paid by his employer for his self employment taxes.
He signed a form saying he understood he was being paid for them, and he would have to pay them when he filed his taxes.
He didn’t-for four years.
He was audited. He lost and owed taxes and penalties for two of the years.
He didn’t pay the taxes on the other two years, even though he now knew that he was wrong.
Once he wanted to be the Treasury Secretary, years later, he paid the past taxes.

What do you think would happen if you or I did that?
I’ve run my own business. I’ve had to do my own taxes. This is not a complicated, esoteric point of tax law. It’s quite clear. It’s right on the form. Plus, he signed a piece of paper saying he understood this. And unlike many people he was actually paid extra by his client to pay this tax. (That’s a nice deal if you can get it.) How much of your compensation don’t you understand? Me, I understand how I get paid, what I get paid, and where it comes from.

So, there are two Choices. He’s an idiot. Not necessarily a good qualification for the Secretary of the Treasury. Personally I don’t think he’s an idiot.

Second, he’s a tax cheat, unethical, a crook, and a liar. This is more likely in my opinion. Bad choice for the IRS. Bad choice for Obama. Bad choice for our country.

No comments:

Post a Comment